What Is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit is a monthly payment which replaces some of the benefits and tax credits you may already be receiving. This includes:
It Can Take 5 Weeks!
If you are entitled to claim Universal Credit apply as soon as you can, as it can take up to five weeks to receive your first payment.
- The date you submit your claim, is the date that you will be paid monthly.
- As Universal Credit is paid one month in arrears, it will take one month until your first payment is made.
- It can then take seven days to go into your bank account.
The maximum Universal Credit is made up of:
- One standard household allowance
- Any additional elements (see below)
- Being a carer
- Childcare costs
- Disabled costs
- An ill, or disabled, adult
If you or someone in your household has earnings and/or savings, these will be taken into account when working out how much Universal Credit you will be paid.
How To Apply For Universal Credit
Contact Universal Credit
If you need help with your claim, call the Universal Credit helpline free on:
If you already have an online account and journal you should call the Universal Credit full service helpline on:
8am – 6pm, Monday to Friday (closed on bank and public holidays). Calls are free.